clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

2. Bundesliga Update - Matchday 11

High-Flying Hamburg and Stuttering Stuttgart

Hamburger SV v VfB Stuttgart - Second Bundesliga Photo by David Hecker/Bongarts/Getty Images

An emphatic win sees Hamburg extend their lead at the top of the table, while several teams in the bottom half score big wins. Here are the results from Matchday 11 of the 2. Bundesliga:

Darmstadt 1 – Erzgebirge Aue 0

Darmstadt scored their second consecutive league win by upending 4th placed Erzgebirge at the Merck-Stadion am Böllenfalltor on Friday evening.

The hosts started brightly, with captain Fabian Holland and Tobias Kempe missing decent chances, and striker Serdar Dursun falling victim to a turf monster as he tried to square up the ball in the Erzgebirge penalty area. The visitors struggled to create any real chances in the first half, and were probably happy to get into halftime all square.

The East Germans turned things up in the second half, and were denied a great chance when Darmstadt center-back Dario Đumić steered a cross away to safety with an outstretched leg, just before Erzgebirge striker Pascal Testroet could get to the ball at the far post. Marko Mihojević then thought he’d scored for the second consecutive league match after heading in a free kick, but it was correctly disallowed for offside.

The match stretched on and looked to be headed for a scoreless draw (UGH), but in the 87th minute, Fabian Holland went down in the Erzgebirge box under pressure from Mihojević. A penalty was not given and the Darmstadt captain was instead booked for diving. However, Darmstadt did win a corner out of the play, and when it was taken, Đumić beat his marker and headed in from point blank range.

The win moves Darmstadt up to 11th, while Erzgebirge remain 4th.

Holstein Kiel 2 – Bochum 1

Die Störche picked up their third win their last four league matches and ended visiting Bochum’s five match unbeaten run.

The hosts gave the Holstein-Stadion something to cheer about in the 7th minute, when Lee Jae-sung steered in a rebound from close range, after Bochum keeper Manuel Riemann had saved Alexander Bieler’s initial shot. Bieler then went close with a long range effort and Kiel seemed to be in control of the match.

Then came a very strange moment in the 35th minute. It first appeared that Bochum striker Silvère Ganvoula M’boussy had simply dragged a shot well wide of the far post. But a few minutes later, VAR called for a review. Nobody knew quite what the issue was, but on replay, it was revealed that Michael Eberwein, a Kiel substitute warming up behind the goal, had inadvertently stopped Ganvoula’s shot with his boot before it had crossed the touchline. This resulted in a booking for Eberwein and a penalty for Bochum, to the consternation of the Kiel players and their supporters. Ganvoula stepped up and beat Bochum keeper Ioannis Gelios to make it 1-1. It was Ganvoula’s 8th goal of the campaign.

Bochum then shot themselves in the foot just before halftime when full-back Danilo Soares stuck up a high boot and collided with Kiel midfielder Salih Özcan, resulting in a penalty for Kiel. Luckily for the visitors, Riemann saved his second penalty in as many matches, to deny Janni Luca Serra, and keep the scoreline even at halftime.

Serra made amends after the break by blasting in Özcan’s cross from the left to put Kiel back in front in the 52nd minute. Gelios stopped Ganvoula from close range in the 69th minute and Bochum could get no closer, as Kiel saw out the result and took a deserved 3 points.

Arminia Bielefeld 1 – Dynamo Dresden 0

Dynamo Dresden’s wretched form continued as visiting Bielefeld ran out deserved winners at the Rudolf-Harbig-Stadion on Saturday afternoon.

Moussa Koné missed an early chance for the hosts, and the remainder of the half belonged to Bielefeld. Dresden keeper Kevin Broll was on point to deny Andreas Voglsammer’s 21st minute screamer and the midfielder came close again in the 34th minute, when his header from a free kick sailed just past the far post.

Koné spurned another glorious chance early in the second half, sending the ball wide of the goal from close range and man of the match Voglsammer made Dresden pay 5 minutes later, when he finally hit the target with a bullet header from Cédric Brunner’s cross.

Dresden tried to get back into the match, and Alexander Jeremejeff thought he’d equalized with 10 minutes left, but the ball had crossed the byline in the buildup and the goal was waved off. Fabian Klos almost added to his 7 league goals this season, but Broll saved from close range to keep him out.

The Dresden fans let their displeasure be known at the final whistle, as the club drop their fourth consecutive league match, while Bielefeld move up to 2nd.

Karlsruher 3 – Hannover 3

KSC snatched a point late in stoppage time to the consternation of Mirko Slomka’s Hannover side, who thought they’d won the match just moments earlier.

Goals started flying in almost from the initial whistle. Hendrik Weydandt gave visiting Die Roten the lead after only 6 minutes, when he latched onto Cedric Teuchert’s delightful through ball and stuffed it past KSC keeper Benjamin Uphoff. They wouldn’t stay in front for long, as Kyoung Rok Choi’s shot from inside the Hannover penalty area struck center-back Marcel Franke’s arm as he tried to swing it behind his back. Marvin Wanitzek beat Hannover keeper Ron-Robert Zieler from the spot and tied the match.

This would not be the only penalty given in this match however. KSC full-back Damian Roßbach needlessly pushed Hannover striker Marvin Ducksch in the back as he tried to reach a through pass and referee Guido Winkmann correctly pointed to the spot. Ducksch kept his nerve and scored the spot kick to give Hannover the lead at the break.

Despite their best efforts, Hannover couldn’t hold the lead and when KSC center-back Daniel Gordon ran onto Wanitzek’s 76th minute cross and headed past Zieler, they had it all to do again. Die Roten pushed on and it looked like they’d nicked the points in the 3rd minute of stoppage time, when Weydandt beat his marker and headed in substitute Emil Hansson’s cross from the right.

But once again, they couldn’t hold it. Near the death, a long ball into the Hannover box was headed down by midfielder Manuel Stiefler. Gordon, high up the pitch to try and get a last ditch equalizer, got the ball, took a nifty touch to shake his marker, and steered it past Zieler for his second of the match. Obviously frustrated by the late goal, Zieler took out his anger on the goalscorer, driving his fist into his groin, and was duly sent off with a straight red card.

Hannover continue scuffling in the lower half of the table and will now be without their star goalkeeper for their next league match.

Hamburg 6 – Stuttgart 2

The biggest match of the weekend turned into a laugher as Hamburg clinically swept aside a suddenly floundering Stuttgart at the Volksparkstadion on Saturday afternoon.

In a clash of the top two sides in the league, it was the hosts and league leaders who raced out of the gate. Jeremy Dudziak’s driving run into the box was stopped by center-back Maxime Awoudja, but the defender knocked Dudziak over in the process, and referee Deniz Aytekin pointed to the spot. Sonny Kittel squeezed the penalty just between keeper Gregor Kobel and the right hand post to give HSV a 13th minute lead.

Awoudja would compound his error ten minutes later, when he dallied on the ball far too long and allowed winger Bakery Jatta to nick possession. The HSV man raced into the opposing half and fired past an onrushing Kobel to double his side’s lead. Nicolás González pulled one back for Stuttgart in the 33rd minute, when he headed in a corner that had been flicked on by Marc-Oliver Kempf, but HSV restored their two goal lead just minutes later, when Kittel headed in his second of the match from Christoph Moritz’s looping cross from the right.

Ex-Dortmund man Gonzalo Castro gave Hamburg a 4th when he unwittingly headed a flicked on HSV corner into his own net in the 56th minute. Stuttgart scored a second in the 63rd minute when the HSV defense switched off for a moment, allowing Castro to sneak behind them onto a long ball. The midfielder selflessly passed to an unmarked Silas Wamangituka for an easy tap in. González then had what would have been a 3rd Stuttgart goal wiped out due to a handball in the buildup.

Ex-Stuttgart man Martin Harnik put the match to bed in the 76th minute, when he stuck in a deflected cross beyond the reach of Kobel. Adrian Fein capped off a fine afternoon for Hamburg, and a miserable afternoon for Stuttgart, by scoring into the far corner in stoppage time.

The result puts Hamburg 2 points clear at the top, while Stuttgart fall to 3rd after losing their third consecutive league match, and find themselves 4 points back.

Nürnberg 1 – Jahn Regensburg 1

Visiting Regensburg were able to snatch a point at the death at the expense of Nürnberg and the home supporters at the Max-Morlock-Stadion on Sunday afternoon.

Captain Hanno Behrens gave the hosts a first half lead when he headed in Johannes Geis’s free kick in the 38th minute. Nürnberg were hoping to put last week’s bitter defeat at the hands of Erzgebirge behind them and went into the half with a 1 goal lead.

Nürnberg spurned a glorious chance to go up 2-0 when Regensburg keeper Alexander Meyer kept out Enrico Valentini’s shot. Regensburg started to come into the match thereafter and Nürnberg were spared from giving up an equalizer in the 57th minute, when VAR flagged Sebastian Stolze offside just before he received a pass from Federico Palacios Martínez.

Regensburg created more chances as the second half went on, especially in the final 10 minutes. The hosts valiantly tried to hang on, but their defense finally broke in the 4th minute of stoppage time. Max Besuschkow lobbed in a corner and Meyer, who had come up into the opposing box as an extra man, headed the ball on toward substitute Jan-Marc Schneider, who duly poked the ball over the line for 1-1 with nearly the last kick of the match.

It was a harsh result for Nürnberg, who remain a point behind Regensburg in the table.

Osnabrück 0 – Greuther Fürth 0

I cannot stress just how much I dislike 0-0 draws.

Fürth actually did the put the ball in the net in the 42nd minute, but VAR called the goal off due to a foul on Osnabrück defender Joost van Aken in the buildup.

The men of the match were keepers Philipp Kühn and Sascha Burchert, who stopped everything else that came their way, the latter saving a point for his side when he denied substitute Bryan Henning in the dying minutes.

Osnabrück are now winless in their last 6 league matches and sit firmly in the bottom half of the table, while Fürth stay in the top half.

Heidenheim 1 – St Pauli 0

Kiezkicker made the long trek down to Baden-Württemberg to face Heidenheim at the Voith-Arena and it was the hosts who ran out winners thanks to a second half goal.

The sides traded chances across an open first half, with first Matt Penney shooting high from the left side of the box for the visitors, followed by counterpart Marnon-Thomas Busch blazing a shot just over from the right side of the opposite box. Mats Møller Dæhli stung the palms of Heidenheim keeper Kevin Müller in the 34th minute and Niklas Dorsch couldn’t curl a ranged effort inside the far post just before the halftime whistle.

Viktor Gyökeres shot wide of the near post after beating his marker just after the start of the second half and Heidenheim duly took advantage in the 59th minute with a cleverly worked setpiece. Marc Schnatterer’s delivery was low and pacey and full-back Norman Theuerkauf was in the right place at the right time to turn the ball into the net past St Pauli keeper Robin Himmelmann.

Müller was on hand to deny Kiezkicker a goal late in the second half and the hosts took all 3 points, moving up to 5th in the process.

Sandhausen 0 – Wiesbaden 0


It was a defensive affair at the BWT-Stadion am Hardtwald on Monday evening as Wiesbaden ran their unbeaten run in the league to four matches by holding Sandhausen to a goalless draw.

The sides each accumulated more cards than goals (2-1) and it was all a rather dull affair, although Sandhausen did have to play the last 25 or so minutes with 10 men after midfielder Ivan Paurević was given a second yellow card in the 63rd minute after clashing with counterpart Sebastian Mrowca.

Wiesbaden weren’t able to do anything with their man advantage and remain bottom, while Sandhausen’s point sees them finish Matchday 11 in 13th.


1. Hamburg – 24 points

2. Arminia Bielefeld – 22 points

3. Stuttgart – 20 points

4. Erzgebirge Aue – 18 points

5. Heidenheim – 16 points

6. Jahn Regensburg – 15 points (+4 GD)

7. Fürth – 15 points (-3 GD)

Top Scorers

Top Scorers

T1. Manuel Schäffler (Wiesbaden) – 8 goals

T1. Silvère Ganvoula M’boussy (Bochum) – 8 goals

T3. Philipp Hofmann (Karlsruher) – 7 goals

T3. Fabian Klos (Arminia Bielefeld) – 7 goals

T3. Sonny Kittel (Hamburg) – 7 goals

Key Upcoming Matches – Matchday 12 (November 1 – 4)

Heidenheim @ Erzgebirge Aue – Saturday 11/2, 8:00 am EST

Karlsruher @ St Pauli – Saturday 11/2, 8:00 am EST

Holstein Kiel @ Arminia Bielefeld – Sunday 11/3, 7:30 am EST

Hamburg @ Wiesbaden – Sunday 11/3, 7:30 am EST