While the debate rages on over who will be in the starting XI for Dortmund and Mainz on opening day, let’s take a look at who will be missing the match on Saturday.
- D Erik Durm (knee)
- D Sven Bender (leave of absence)
- D Neven Subotic (surgery, out indefinitely)
- D Matthias Ginter (leave of absence)
- M Mario Gotze (muscle tightness)
- F Marco Reus (adductor)
All six players above are expected to miss the opening match against Mainz. Bender and Ginter are out following international duty at the 2016 Rio Olympics. Reus is already back in training and is not expected to be in match form until late September.
- G Gianluca Curci (calf)
- M Niki Zimling (ligament tear)
- M Danny Latza (adductor)
- F Jairo Samperio (ligament tear)
- F Devante Parker (ligament tear)
- F Emil Berggreen (knee)
Each of the six injured players above for Mainz are dealing with long-term injuries and a date for their return is unknown.