After 90 in Borussia Park we took the 3 points with a 3-1 win over BMG. Our goal scorers were Reus (41'), Mkhitaryan (50') and Gundogan (75'). Raffael (58') scored the single goal for BMG. It was an exciting game that saw both teams have plenty of chances to take points from the other, but in the end Dortmund capitalized. Durm, Ginter and Ramos all came on as subs in the second half for Reus, Castro and Aubameyang.
Important Game Notes:
- Aubameyang did not have a great day. He had multiple chances where he had bad misses including a open net late in the game to lock it down, albeit after an amazing run to get that open chance. He's had problems with finishing chances all season.
- Joo-ho Park got the start today after a very impressive winter training, and was not very good. He let himself get tricked by Raffael, which resulted in BMG's only goal. His problem has always been tracking back as he was clowned by the BMG midfield and forwards the whole game. Hopefully he can take bad games like this as a lesson and improve in the near future.
- DURM!!!!! Erik Durm played his first Bundesliga game since Klopp, as a sub for Reus late in the game. He's looking better out on the field and it seems he's been able to put his injury behind him. Let's hope he continues to see more minutes.
- Picking MOTM is a tough call. Gundogan was amazing today. In addition to his goal in the 75th, he was a constant threat on offense and defense. Throughout the game he made plays that stopped BMG movement and generated forward play for us. Mkhitaryan shined offence and defence today. Don't just take my word for it, look at these stats courtesy of Opta.
.@HenrikhMkh vs Gladbach: 1 goal 1 assist 2 key passes 4 dribbles 2 tackles 2 shots 5 interception 63% pass completion— OptaLaurin (@OptaLaurin) January 23, 2016
With stats like that, Mkhy is really starting to show his full potential on the pitch. Perhaps my extreme prediction can come true after all.
- Overall we ended up over performing our xG this game with 2.4 xG according to Michael Caley's xG model. With all of our missed chances it is good to know that we still are converting on more chances then we should be.